VA Home Loans
Veterans have access to one of the most beneficial and flexible home purchasing programs on the market today.
VA loans have helped more than 18 million service members become homeowners since World War II. Today, in our current lending and real estate environment, the VA Loan Guaranty program has become an increasingly crucial benefit for soldiers, service members and their families.
These are the safest and most secure loans available. The VA loan program allows veterans who might otherwise struggle to become homeowners the chance to secure financing.
No Money Down
Qualified borrowers can purchase a home worth up to $417,000 without any money down. There’s also no private mortgage insurance on VA loans, a costly monthly expense that is required on most conventional loans without a hefty down payment.
Other key benefits of the VA loan include:
* No pre-payment penalties
* A higher allowable debt-to-income ratio than for many conventional loans
* Sellers can pay up to 6 percent of closing costs
*In high-cost markets, qualified borrowers can purchase a home worth up to $729,000 and beyond without a down payment
VA loans help level the playing field for American service members. These are often much easier for veterans to qualify for than conventional loans. In fact, about 80 percent of VA borrowers don’t have the financial profile necessary to qualify for a conventional loan.
Who Is Eligible For VA Mortgage Loans?
Millions of service members are eligible for a VA loan. But fewer than 10 percent of the nation’s 24 million veterans have taken advantage of this benefit. To be eligible, a prospective borrower must meet one of the following:
-Served a minimum of 90 days during wartime in World War II, the Korean Conflict, or the Vietnam War.
-Served during a time of peace for 181 continuous days.
-National Guard or Reservists need six years of service.
Surviving spouses of service members killed in the line of duty may also be eligible.
Military Real Estate
- MilitaryByOwner.com – Network of Military Real Estate listings. Be sure to see their page on VA Loans as well.
- MilitaryHomes.com – Another up-and-coming source of Military Real Estate listings. Not as large of a network as MilitaryByOwner, but still growing.
- USMilitaryFSBO.com – Another older site with Military listings.
VA Loan Tools
- VALoanCalculator.com – Enter loan details and estimate your monthly payment.
- VAFundingFee.com – Same concept as VALoanCalculator.com but will estimate your VA funding fee.
- Ginnie Mae’s Loan Estimator – Loan amount calculator put out by the government. Will factor in government loan types such as the VA Loan.
VA Loan Information
- VALoanRates.com – Informational page on VA Loan Rates.
If you have more VA Loans Resources, please contact us.